Tuesday, October 30, 2007



Today I was cleaning and moving things in my room. One of the things that I move was this painting that I brought from Colombia. It means a lot to me, because this painting has a profound cultural meaning. This painting catch important items of my culture, but I am not talking about the whole Colombian culture, I am talking about the culture from my city. As you can see this painting has a hat, which is made by hand and the material is taken from a palm tree. Next to the hat is a drum that symbolize our autochthonous music that is Cumbia. then we found a rucksack that is also make with natural material. Inside the rucksack we can see two Gaitas (male and female) that also symbolize our native music. This painting as I said before means a lot to me because it reflect in some ways who I am and where I came from. Each time that I look at this painting all the memories that I have from my country specially my city came to my mind. Oh! I forgot to tell you that the colors in the rucksack are the colors of my flag and each color has a different meaning. Yellow means all the richness in our lands, blue means the two oceans that bathe our country, and finally red that means all the blood spilled by our liberators to gave us freedom. That's why I love this painting and I bring it with me wherever I go.

No comments: